Thursday, March 10, 2016

March 10, 2016

I Thought You Must
Read: Psalm 19
On the way to work today I was looking at a huge bank of clouds along the horizon. That made it look as if I were approaching a mountain range. It was pretty much the opposite experience to one I had in Fairbanks, Alaska, where we suddenly realized that the clouds we were seeing on the horizon were actually snow-covered mountains. I like it when my perception gets turned around all of a sudden like that.

My best friend works for a veterinarian, and she tells me some great stories of what goes on at that clinic, and that clouds and mountains experience reminded me of one of them. I'm probably going to get most of the details wrong, but the details that actually matter are the ones I know I've remembered correctly.

One day a client was dropping off his cat for boarding as he prepared to leave on a short vacation. They were chatting about where he was going (Alaska!) and how beautiful it is there, especially in the summer when there's light and you can see the sights.

While talking about the beauty of nature, this client said, “I don't know if you believe in God; I do, and I really think you must too, just from the way you are with all of us and the animals.” She said she did, of course, and they talked on, wondering how anyone could look at something like Denali (or even Mt. McKinley) and think that beauty just kind of happened.

They talked about how Earth seemed to be the only planet we've found that has anything like beautiful landscapes. The others are either giant balls of gas or have rocky, forbidding vistas that invite with their differences, but not with anything like beauty.
They finally decided that God must have made Earth the way it is so we could have a taste of the beauty and joy that await us in Heaven with Him.

That's a really nice thought – that God made the Earth for our (and His!) enjoyment, and I don't doubt for a minute that that is true. However the most important thing I got from that story, and what she wasn't actually telling me, is that by her life she was letting people know that she belongs to Jesus, and that He shapes her life and her living. There was no big cross around her neck (nor on her collar), no band on her wrist, no T-shirt, nothing like that. Instead there is a life living out her faith for all to encounter and experience. Awesome.
 
Prayer: Father, thank You for making the Earth as a place where we can enjoy the beauty of Your creation. We ask that all we meet might see that beauty in nature, but more importantly in us, as Your light shines from us through the Holy Spirit. In Jesus's name. Amen

Charlie van Becelaere

No comments: