Friday, March 18, 2016

March 18, 2016

Perfect Timing
"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. -- Matthew 6:19-21
In comedy, timing is everything. And if God were a comic, he'd be outstanding. On a Saturday as we were leaving a friend's home in Indianapolis I realized my wallet was missing. Couldn't find it anywhere. As Joan drove us south to Bloomington to see Emily and Jordan, I made hasty cell phone calls to cancel six credit and debit cards. I also contemplated the hassle of getting a replacement drivers license, and AAA and Kroger cards. However, I barely thought about the cash I had lost. I wasn't sure how much I was carrying, but I had reassured Joan and our Indianapolis host that I wasn't concerned that much about the cash, compared to the vulnerability of the lost credit cards. Joan agreed.
Of course, when we unpacked at Emily and Jordan's the wallet reappeared from deep within a duffel bag pocket. I was grateful, dismissing the wasted time and effort canceling cards and inconvenience of waiting for replacements. I barely thought about the cash.
In fact, the next time I gave my recovered money a thought was in church the next morning. I picked up an envelope from the pew holder to make a small contribution to Bloomington First UMC, and opened my wallet to pull out a few bucks just as Pastor Mark opened the service with a teaser about the theme of his sermon. He said, "Most of us are richer than we think. Look at what you have versus what you really need – like the shoes in your closet or the food in your refrigerator. The gap between those two shows what you could give away and never really miss."
But I didn't have to think about the shoes in my closet, nor the contents of my 'fridge. The gap was there in my wallet and I was looking right at it. I couldn't deny it because I had said it myself less than 24-hours earlier, "I'm not worried about the lost cash." I had openly admitted that those ones and fives, and a few twenties had not been essential to my life. I had written them off. Said they weren't a big concern. But, there they were. Not lost. Not committed. And not really needed, at least by me.
As you might expect, God the Almighty Comic had been perfect in his timing. I almost laughed out loud as my wallet thinned and the envelope thickened.


Bob Rossbach

No comments: