Tuesday, March 08, 2016

March 8, 2016

The Day Faith Told Me About; Part 4 Christmas Cookies at Thanksgiving
The two most important days in a person’s life are the day you’re born and the day you find out why. (Mark Twain)
I’m not sure what it was, blind faith, pure faith, denial, disbelief, the morphine drip, pure love overpowering all else, my upbringing in this church, or maybe it was as they thought; I was just plain nuts. Jeri and I had after all just survived being run into by a 3,000 lb steel object racing in head on at over 75 mph; the driver of which was passed out with his foot on the gas.
For many years Jeri would get together with her nieces, her sister-in-law Lotti, Auntie Marge, Josie-Bell, and of course her mom and they would all make their Christmas Cookies at our house around Thanksgiving. Flour and sugar and ingredients would fly everywhere, the dough for each type and batch had to be adjusted until “just right”; all under the supervision of the senior cookie makers Mom, Marge and Josie. The years passed and so did the elders; it was up to Jeri to supervise.
As I lay with a morphine drip to counter the pain of a broken hip, arm, and foot, and being black and blue all over, it took several days for the various teams of doctors to explain to me all the things that had been damaged on my wife, the most precious thing in my life. At first it was the multiple compound fractures of both femurs and the missing bone fragments, and then it was the multiple fractures of the pelvis. Then came the news of the crushed foot, the ankle that was destroyed, the broken hand, and the multiple fractures of both arms. Of course the most frightening was the multiple and open fractures of her head and face. One doctor told me her head x-ray looked like the inside of a Rice Krispie, too many fractures to even count. Of course the 2 spinal fractures, the crushed sternum and 14 broken ribs didn’t help and neither did the news that the ribs punctured her lungs and cut her liver and the never ending internal bleeding whose source was a mystery was cause for more alarm.
Through all this time I never doubted, not even for a second, my every thought was that my wife would recover and we would come to thank the Lord in His house here in GPUMC. I may have become numb to it all, I just prayed, out loud, to myself, all the while I was awake, in my sleep, all I did was pray. When the trauma team had to bear the news of more complications I would reassure them that they were not to be too concerned, “just do your best, she’ll be fine soon enough” I’d say. Then as each piece of news came in I would reassure them that they were getting all worked up over nothing, “give it time, she’ll be fine” I’d say. I learned a year later that the trauma and ER doctors had gotten some people in as bad a condition as Jeri into the ICU but had never until now seen anyone this bad leave the ICU alive.
So as I would reassure them not to worry because she’s pure Italian on one side and 100% Irish on the other and that “in 6 months or so She’ll be in here telling You what she will and won’t do," they’d walk out mumbling things like, “he’s in denial," “he didn’t understand a word we said," or “I sure hope he’s right."
One day about 10 days after the crash when I came to see her, as she still lay motionless in an induced coma, there was a young pretty blonde resident doctor who had just experienced her first ischemic stroke victim, unfortunately it was Jeri. The young doctor was all aflutter to tell me about it. She couldn’t wait to show me the CAT scans and all the dark parts of the brain that were gone now and that little light colored part there, that’s the part that may still be OK. This was all new and very exciting for her.
In 1980 Don Henley wrote a song entitled “Dirty Laundry” about the evening news anchors, and in it he mentions the “bubble headed bleach blonde who comes on at 5; she can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye.” All I could see was Don Henley’s fictitious character in this young doctor. I’d had enough. From somewhere within, “nutty Ron” came out. I wheeled around in my wheelchair and wagging my finger and flailing my arms, I explained in no uncertain terms that “I’m Not a Doctor! I can’t read a CAT scan! For all I know you’ve got the contrast set wrong and this is all OK! But I do know this, Come Thanksgiving she’s gonna be baking Christmas Cookies!!! You hear Me?!?, Christmas Cookies at Thanksgiving!!!” As someone quickly grabbed the handles of my wheelchair and wheeled me down the hall to my room, all they heard was me hollering “Christmas Cookies at Thanksgiving!!!” That’s when they sent in “the Shrink." I had a rallying call, and a new goal. They quickly determined I was nuts. I quickly determined to prove myself right; at any cost.
Ten months later, at home preparing for the first of several revision surgeries, we were planning another long stay in hospitals. With Thanksgiving only a week away, a few girls and I put the ingredients in the bowl in Jeri’s lap as she called them out while seated in her wheelchair. With ½ of one eye, the other blind, with only one hand, she mixed as best as she could. We made Christmas Cookies at Thanksgiving, put them in several Christmas Cookie tins and included cards with thanks and love, and delivered them to as many of the trauma team and ICU team as we could find. Jeri stood from her wheelchair to hand each one out to someone who saved her life. With no recollection of it, Jeri was meeting these people for the first time. To a person, they were all shocked, amazed, some cried, all were Very Happy and had wondered for months, “what ever happened to that girl with the nutty husband.” “Nutty Ron” went back where he belongs.
Blind faith, pure love, being a little nuts, having the incontrovertible belief that what one is praying for will come to pass; whatever it was, or is, I’ll continue to believe in miracles, and the Power of Prayer. Thanks to all of you for yours.
Prayer: May we always have the Faith to believe our Prayers.
Ron Draper; Christmas Day 2015

No comments: