Saturday, March 19, 2016

March 19, 2016

Surely the Presence of the Lord is in this Place
Read UMH #328
Several years ago I was roped in to helping Sam Andrus with GPUMC’s involvement in Habitat for Humanity. Sam was very handy so helping him organize our work group and coordinating the activity and the worksites was easy - while he was the technical advisor (think of Sam like Doc Martin or Steve Makos). When Sam moved away, I was “promoted” into his role of leading the Habitat builds when it was GPUMC’s turn to lead a Saturday build. I found it really hard because I am a much better organizer than builder. Organizers are a skill Habitat needed, but they were much more effective when paired with some building skills.
Anyway, several years ago it was my Saturday to lead the work. It was a beautiful summer day. As I sat in our parking lot, waiting for our church workers to arrive, I was hoping no one would show and I would be able skip the leadership duties that day.
No one from our church showed.
Right as I was about to leave a man walked up to my car and tapped on the window. He asked “does this church have a shelter for homeless men?” He explained that he had just walked miles carrying what little he owned looking for a place to stay the night.
I spent the morning with him looking for a shelter that would accept him. A process that tested my patience. I cannot imagine how someone without a car, cell phone, and negotiating skill would have a chance. During our drive he shared his story, which really touched me. Eventually we found a place for him and I waited at the shelter in a rough area of the city until he was given a room.
I remember him very well to this day. I believe, although it was my plan to skip Habitat that day, I was called to help a man who needed the skills I really had to find shelter. It was something I could do. I only regret not doing more.
When I pull in to the parking lot for church, I often remember that morning and know – surely the Lord is in this place.

Mike Lorenz

No comments: