Thursday, March 03, 2016

March 3, 2016

The Word of God in the 21st Century.
I hesitated writing this devotion because it really isn’t a devotion as such. And furthermore it is for folks who have a smart phone so that eliminates a few folks. But let me continue anyway. I was in the Holy Land a couple of years ago in February. When we would get to a holy site, our guide would open his Bible and read verses that pertained to the site. Many of those passages we all knew by heart anyway but a couple of folks pulled out their cell phones and were following along with our guide. How handy! So I asked what apps they were using and then I loaded a couple of them on my phone.
Frankly for me the very best app is Laudate. There are a whole lot of others but this one is sooo easy to use and gets you to the place you want to read without any dead ends and it is free. It is put out by the Roman Catholic church so has a lot of other things on it besides the Bible so we Protestants could learn a thing or two from our Roman Catholic friends and neighbors by using it.
With this app in place you can access the Bible anywhere – sitting in the doctor’s office, airport, before church starts, even standing in the grocery store line. Certainly my all-time go-to Bible book is Psalms for an affirmation of God’s goodness and care. No wonder Catholics for centuries used the Psalms as the basis for their 5-times-a-day prayers. But certainly we all have favorites in addition to Psalms like Romans 8:38 and 39 - “... nor height, nor depth, or any other creature shall be able to separate us from the love of God.” and First Corinthians 13:1, “though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have no love, I become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal.”
Wow, this is beginning to sound more and more like a devotion after all!!! Blessings to all of you.


Vivian Anderson

No comments: