Saturday, March 05, 2016

March 5, 2016

Miracles Do Happen
Read: Psalm 138
It was late in the day and I stopped by my friend Verna’s office on my way to the elevator to head home. Verna had not been feeling well for some months, and at times needed a ride home. Something made me check in on her. She looked down and said she thought she might have to go to the hospital. I told her I would pull my car around to the side of our building, and take her to the hospital. When I reported to the lobby the security guards had called an ambulance for Verna, as she was really struggling. I remember thinking as they whisked her away, that I might not see my friend again.
I was wrong. Verna spent over 80 days in the ICU, intubated, on dialysis and oxygen. When I visited her in the hospital, she was not really conscious. Three times her family was called in as death was imminent. But each time she rallied. I was preparing for Thanksgiving dinner, and thinking I should call Verna’s sister ,Val, but I was afraid to hear bad news. I called and was told that things were not going well. The Monday after Thanksgiving my phone rang at my desk, the LDC showed it was Verna’s sister, Val; my heart sank as I picked up the phone. But Val called to tell me that Verna had awakened! Verna remained in ICU until after the New Year. She had to have a tracheotomy, so the breathing tube could be removed. But this allowed her to talk and eat. When I visited her last week, she was so grateful for all the prayers that were said on her behalf.
Verna is the kind of person that can talk to anyone about anything. It wasn’t long after I met her, that we shared stories about our church and faith journeys together. She and her sister came to our Gospel Fest last year. I was so touched that she would take the time to come, and so happy that she could meet my church family in person. When I visited her last week, we talked and talked. She said that God must have a special purpose in mind for her, and that she has rededicated her life to fulfilling that purpose. She still has a long road ahead of her, but she is an inspiration to me. Verna is a person who has limited material resources, but an abundance of the resources that cannot be purchased with money. She is generous beyond measure with those gifts. I am grateful to know her.


Nancy Grose

No comments: