Thursday, March 02, 2017

March 02, 2017

Miracles
Read: Psalm 139:13-18

As often happens when Charlie reminds our congregation that he hopes to receive devotions from enough people to fill the booklet, I thought, “I'll write one.” As also often happens I have struggled with what to put on paper.

This morning at the annual family retreat, Rev. Sari Brown led us in an exercise designed to help focus on God’s presence in our lives. During a restful period of introspection, the word “Lucy” popped into my head. Lucy is our youngest granddaughter. I have been reminded by her birth of the miracle of life.

Lucy is a miracle, as is each of us, simply because she is here. God’s engineering amazes me. When my own children were born, I was often too busy working or simply coping with kids that it was easy to overlook the things that I have enjoyed while watching my grandkids.

I have once again taken immense pleasure in watching a new person start to grow, in watching her progress from “newborn” to “infant,” in knowing that all her wiring and plumbing and framing is being done without our direction, but as a part of God’s design. It’s pretty cool, don't you think? Maybe even miraculous.

Fred Van de Putte

No comments: