Wednesday, March 15, 2017

March 15, 2017

What Is Courage?
Read: Deuteronomy 31:6


As I sat there and listened to the sermon on Sunday, January 21st, I thought that one must face these troubled times with all of the courage one can muster. A poem came to mind. One that I had submitted for the book some time ago. Maybe it’s time to jog our memories once again.
You asked me, “What is courage?”
So we took the dictionary down and spelled it out.
You said, “It’s not to fear.”
Does courage arch its back up like our cat and spit at everything it meets?
Perplexed, we closed the book and took a walk.
We came upon where fire had worked untimely death.
The woods were gone, but on a slender stalk, a flower inched for life.
I caught my breath!
“Courage, I said,” and took you by the hand, “IS ONE WHITE FLOWER IN A FIRE-SWEPT LAND.”
And so must we all try to be like that flower in these troubled times.

Glenn DeLodder

No comments: