Thursday, March 09, 2017

March 09, 2017

Relax
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” - John 14:27


My prayer focus for this year was inspired by one line from Buddhist author Pema Chodron: “Lower your standards and relax as it is.” What a difficult concept! As I have spent about six weeks praying, meditating, and reflecting on this concept, I have found connections to our Christian teachings.

First – it was relief! Relax, stop worrying, let go of my expectations for other people (spouse, children, co-workers). I’m thinking, let go of expectation, let go of disappointment. If someone lets me down, are they really letting ME down, or is it just my idea of what they SHOULD be doing? I can love the people in my life and accept them as they are. This erases tension and creates ease. Jesus said to love others as we love ourselves. This unconditional love is the same love that we enjoy from Jesus.

Second – about standards. When we raise our children or teach or lead others, we know that our standards must be high – people will perform as we expect them to perform. My children are grown, I have a loving husband, and we have no grandchildren currently expected among our six children. So I can safely say that no one needs to be held to my exacting standards at the present time. I can keep standards high for myself and TO myself. Jesus taught us that God is in control. God has the standards for us. I don’t need to spend my energy worrying about what others are doing. I need to listen to God.

Third – as it is. There are blessings in every moment, every situation, and every challenge. If I am quiet and grateful, this is so clear to me. Simple daily gratitude for my life AS IT IS is quite a powerful concept. So easy and yet so difficult. Staying present, staying in my breath, saying thank you God, makes my moments so beautiful. I think Jesus wanted us to trust in God and in God’s plan for us. Jesus wanted us to feel God’s love and to not feel afraid from the stress and worries of this life.

Prayer: Dear God – there is beautiful simplicity in the way that you want us to live each day. It is hard for me to trust you and remember to keep it simple. Thank you for being with me as I work on relaxing and being faithful to you. Amen.

Anne Sullivan

No comments: