Thursday, March 23, 2017

March 23, 2017

History
Read: UM Hymnal #365, verse 4


Well, as we start the season of Lent, and Charlie asks for devotions, I begin once again with my dog. Seems as though it always is what comes to my mind...

Dave and I were lucky enough to get a rescue dog from our dear friend, Heidi, when we lost our best friend, Toby, the Vizsla, to an aggressive form of lymphoma at a relatively young age. Because of my previous head injury, I knew I didn't have the stamina to raise a puppy, so Jax came into our lives. He was approximately a year old, house-trained, and good on the leash (I love to walk).

Jax is our first rescue dog, and it got me to thinking about his previous life. He was brought to the clinic one freezing cold February day by the police who found him wandering the streets with no collar or ID chip. After we adopted him, I started thinking about his life before the one with us. What happened to him before we got him? Is he afraid to go down our basement because someone had mistreated him in one? Does he go crazy around garbage trucks because he'd been hit by one? Why does he love to play rough and tumble with Drew's dog, Hogan, but is gentle as a lamb with the grand-babies? We'll never know Jax's background or where he came from, but we love him dearly just the same, and he has found a safe haven in our home.

We all have history. Some of it good, some bad. God doesn't care about our past sin and indiscretion, but offers us His grace, now and always, no matter what. This is the beauty of our Christian life, and aren't we so very lucky to have our own safe haven?

Sue DeWitt

No comments: