Saturday, April 16, 2022

April 16, 2022

The Power of Prayer

“Again I say to you, if two of you agree on Earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in Heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there I am among them.” – Matthew 18:19-20

Many years ago, one of my favorite bosses came by to ask about some work that was to be done on the Air Conditioner just outside my office. I told him the guy had been there and had fixed it. He said, “You don’t know that; you only know he worked on it.” That message has stayed with me even to today.

From November 2020 to March 2021 practically every time I left home, it was to go to the E.R. or the nose and throat doctor for recurring nose bleeds. It was difficult to plan to do something, or to go any place because I might have a nose bleed with no warning. It was my practice to not go anywhere without a clamp for my nose. My boss’s old saying came back – since November a lot of people have worked on my nose, but no one fixed it.

As I write this, it seems we finally put the right person on the job! I had been praying for relief, but results came when Jacki, my daughter, asked the prayer circle at her church to include me in their prayers. Heidi’s sister did the same at her church. I also was put on the list at our church. (A trinity of prayer groups!) I don’t know if it was the sheer volume of prayers, or if God knew I was on the verge of doing something stupid. At my last doctor visit, he said “It looks like it is healed.” We all know who to thank for that!

Through all this difficulty, I never lost sight of how good I have it, and how blessed I am. Whenever I began to feel sorry for myself, I would be reminded of the struggles, disappointments and tragedies others have, or are enduring. I thank God every day for my many blessings.

Jack van Becelaere
(If you’re interested, you can ask Charlie what the “something stupid” was.)

No comments: