Wednesday, April 06, 2022

April 6, 2022

Purposeful Gratitude

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” – Romans 15:13-15 NIV

I can't remember exactly when I wrote my first devotion, but it was a long time ago and I think I've written at least one every year since.

Usually, they stem from some event that was disruptive and sticks in my mind and in hindsight reminds me of how God is working in our lives. Sometimes they are a reflection on a particularly difficult time that God helped me get through.

This past year I have certainly had ups and downs, highs and lows, trials and tribulations; but as I sit down to write this, all I can think of is that my life is good, my burden is light, and my blessings are many. It's almost like, I'm embarrassed to say, my life is so good that I've become complacent about it. My reflection on the disruptions of the past year is dull (if you know what I mean).

I have conversations with God every day and I feel his presence in my life and that brings me daily peace. But it’s almost like a good friend you know will always be there for you, so you start taking them for granted and don’t notice all they do for you.

Maybe I’m still on an artificial high from 5 weeks in Hawaii and that is why everything feels so good, LOL. I’m not sure but I but I am moved today to make this Lent one of gratitude. Of being purposeful each day in recognizing all the blessings in my life. All the people, experiences, and yes, things that bring me joy. Especially the peace that comes from God and the promise of eternal life.
 
Prayer intentions today for all whose cup overflows and even more so for those in need.

Cathy Lorenz

No comments: