Sunday, April 03, 2022

April 3, 2022

It Was Jesus

Read Acts 20:34-35

I was listening to one of those “radiothons” on WJR for the Salvation Army. I normally give to them as well as several others near the end of the year.

As the “prattle” went on, I was responding to the radio with, “yeah, yeah” “oh sure” “of course” and many other non-responses; above it all with condescending comments.

I guess God had heard enough! All of a sudden I was taken over by a sense that I had to contribute. Not only contribute, but how much! I never had a feeling so strong or so directed and specific.

I was reminded of a thing that happened to country singer Roy Clark. He was on stage performing in a small town where 90% of the people worked for a large company in town. Unfortunately, the plant had just closed. Roy tells how he was between songs when he heard a voice say, “Don’t take the money.”
The voice wasn’t out loud, but he heard it. He looked up and said, “what?” The voice came again: “Don’t take the money.”
When it came time for them to pay him, Roy said no to the money – and to a specially engraved shotgun valued at $800. He said that in no uncertain terms, according to a young reporter who was taking notes. Roy told the reporter, “Don’t say it was Roy Clark; it was Jesus. Make sure you say that.”

In my case, I didn’t hear a voice, but I didn’t need one. The message was clear. The other day I was thumbing through my check register and noticed the donation. I started thinking of the Bible where it says “it is better to give than receive.” I had that pleasure, but it made me wonder about who had I helped, and probably how many. Whatever the answer to this is, they did not have the chance to give, but no doubt were grateful to receive.

Thank you, God, for directing me when I needed You.

Jack van Becelaere

There by the Grace of God go I!

No comments: