Tuesday, February 19, 2008

February 19, 2008

God’s Providence

Read Psalm 121

The word “providence” does not appear in the Bible, nor is it defined. Webster’s Dictionary defines providence as “divine guidance or care.” I have been examining my faith and trust in God and yet I find myself coming to the concept of providence. It seems that God’s part is to provide and all I have to do is trust – what a great deal for me!

Faith is hard, though. I find myself feeling alone and afraid at times. I am frustrated to feel this way and I feel ungrateful, because when I look at God’s continuous providence in my life, I am overwhelmed.

I know that there has not been a single moment in my life where I could not reach out to someone who genuinely loved me. Mark 16: 15 – 16 says that the purpose of God’s providence is the redemption of humanity and that God works through people who conform to the purpose or will of God. I have experienced this, happily, many times.

One example of God’s working through people in my life has been the presence of Karens and Kathys. Let me explain.

In junior high school, I had fallen in with a wild group of friends who were pushing limits in several areas. I had a sudden falling out with this group and found myself a little lonely. My mom stepped in and introduced me to her friend’s daughter. Delightedly, Karen Button and I became fast friends. She was a popular and wholesome girl. Her best friend was Kathy Klok and we were a happy trio. Those girls were so loving and fun loving – we had a great time through high school. They led me down a whole new track – including MYF and Girl Scouts.

At another point in my life, as a young mother, I repeatedly crossed paths with another Karen. We had so many connections and our kids were just the same ages. Through her, I met Cathie who also had been appearing in my life. Together we began years of fun, support and study, which continues. We camp, read books and practice yoga, and these women have channeled God’s love in so many ways. We were all Girl Scout leaders!

Once again, I found myself feeling a bit alone, at home and at church. Lo and behold, another Karen appears with a big loving heart, a Bible study book and prepared questions to answer! Who joins in our study but Kathy! So again, I am happily embraced and feeling God’s love and providence through the words, presence and actions of a Karen and a Kathy. My faith and trust are restored and my fear is quelled for another day.

Thank you, God, for your providence and your attention to my needs. Thank you for hearts and hands that do your work. Help me to be open to your purpose. Amen

Anne Sullivan

No comments: