Thursday, February 28, 2008

February 28, 2008

The Last Number Dialed

Read: UMH #395, Take Time to Be Holy

Around 9:30 pm Gary got a new voicemail message. From me. I didn’t call him, so we both looked at Faith expecting a telling smirk. Nope. It was the restaurant where we had dinner that night. They had found my cell phone, and Gary’s number was the last number I had called. They found me because of who I talked to last. In my case it’s also who I talk to the most (but I was grateful he happened to be the last call that day).

Our cell phones and e-mails all keep a record of who we talk to – and even what we say. I’m OK with that because mine are all pretty tame. (My mother told me at a very young age that you should never write anything down that you don’t want the whole world to read.) What if there were a record of how often we talked to God – and what we say. If there were records of my thoughts, would people know I was a Christian? Do I talk to God as often as I call Gary? I loved the idea that a restaurant could find me because I called my husband. I also love the idea that I can always be “found” by calling on God. Maybe I should add Him to my contact list in my cell phone.


Thought for the day: Who do you talk to last? Or most?

Prayer: Dear God, In these days of constant communication, help us remember that we don’t need a cell phone or e-mail to reach you. Thank you for being with us at all times and help us keep you first place in our hearts and minds. Amen.

Jacki Rumpp

No comments: