Saturday, February 09, 2008

February 9, 2008

I'm my own Grandpa

You may not be familiar with this song (which details how the singer became his own grandfather), but I can still remember drawing out the relationships in the lyrics for the kids on a retreat one time, because they didn't believe it could work. It does – it really does.

Still, novelty songs don't work for the topic of devotions, do they? They do when they line up so perfectly with a conversation in the Parlour.

I was talking with my friend, Peter, about devotions. More specifically, we were talking about how as children we have parents who take care of us, have rules, and provide a house and love; but as adults, we find out that we still have a parent: our Heavenly Father, who has not just rules, but commandments, not just a house, but a Kingdom, and who doesn't just take care of us, but who actually sent His Son to Earth to die for us. Even better, He didn't stop there, but after dying for us, to pay for our sins, He rose again to show that not only was the debt paid, but that He has a place prepared for us: we get to go home to Heaven to live with Him there.

“OK,” I hear you ask, “so what does that have to do with 'I'm my own Grandpa?'” Well, we realized that since we have our Heavenly Father in common, that means that my father is my brother, and my mother is my sister. That's the family of God, folks. Ain't family something?


Charlie van Becelaere

What a blessing to have such a tangled family tree! Thank you, Lord.
Amen.

No comments: