Wednesday, February 27, 2008

February 27, 2008

... to sit around a Table ...

Read Matthew 18:20

Now that Ross and Ben are both at college, Greg and I are empty nesters. Since I was active at their schools, I expected to miss the concerts, musicals and many volunteer opportunities – and I have.

But I also knew that as much as going to college has been a growth experience for our sons, their transition could be a growth experience for me, too. I resolved to get involved in activities that I had put on the back burner during those hectic years when the kids were home. I wasn’t going to fill up my newly free time by spending it in front of the TV.

Developing friendships with other women was at the top of my list. I have two brothers – no sisters – and I’ve always felt I was missing out on that special bond sisters seem to have. So I decided to join the Doris White circle of the United Methodist Women, which was ideal because we meet at night and I work during the day. I also signed up for an evening UMW book study.

I’m always glad when I’ve gone to a circle meeting, even though I sometimes have to push myself to get there after a long day of work. The programs are always uplifting. For example, in January, Noelle Landin shared photos from the trip to Israel, and we also packed Valentine bags for the Friendly Visitors. And of course, being Methodists, the food is wonderful.

The book study has been a greater challenge, but in a positive way. If I don’t show up for circle, I can be confident that enough members will be there to enjoy the meeting. But if I don’t get to the Monday night book study, there’s a good chance it won’t go on, because it’s just the three of us: Karen Bromley, Anne Sullivan, and me.

We are small in number, but we’ve had some wonderful discussions, and I’ve really enjoyed getting to know Anne and Karen. In a world of so much divisiveness, it’s been extraordinarily comforting to sit around a table with other Methodist women and share our reflections.

“The Spirit of the Lord shall come upon you in power. . . and you will be changed into a different person.” 1 Samuel 10:6

Kathy Gardner

No comments: