Sunday, February 24, 2008

February 25, 2008

Celebration Time

Are you hurting? Pray. Do you feel great? Sing. Are you sick? Call the church leaders together to pray and anoint you with oil in the name of the Master. Believing-prayer will heal you, and Jesus will put you on your feet. And if you've sinned, you'll be forgiven – healed inside and out.
Make this your common practice: confess you sins to each other and pray for each other so that you can live together whole and healed. The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with.
- James 5:13-16 The Message

I long have wondered how people existed without a church family. Not, I am not sure that I would want to be anointed with oil, I am certain that I would have difficulty confessing my sins to my fellow church members. But I am very sure and certain that our church family has seen Ken and me through several difficult situations.

I firmly believe that prayers helped to bring our grandson safely home from Iraq in December (a very Merry Christmas for our family). Thank you for that support. Thank you for the support given to Ken and me during the Fall months following my extensive back surgery. With the help of an excellent surgeon, who acknowledges God's presence in the operating room, with your prayers, through Jesus, I literally have been put back on my feet. From our church family there were so many cards and notes of good wishes, visits, phone calls, gifts. The meals that were brought to the house helped to sustain us, body, mind, and soul. All were offered with love: the love that comes to us through others from the Father.

Returning to Sunday Worship after eight weeks absence was a renewing experience. Warm welcomes, hugs, further good wishes, made for a loving reunion. We see this family in action all during the year – giving, helping, crying, laughing, and of course praying. There are many different types of needs to which the response is quick and great. Some witnessed to this response during “Celebration Time” at the Annual Church Conference.

Sometimes the need is not easily known, but according to James, each person should reach out in need or reach out to help those in need.


Loving, Giving God, I thank you for the love that comes from you through my Church Family. Help me to respond to needs, returning a portion of that love. AMEN.

Carol Ann Maleitzke

No comments: