Friday, March 11, 2011

March 11. 2011

Lenten Thoughts

Read: James 1:2-12

For years, people I know have given things up for Lent.  Children are cute when they try to “give up” vegetables.  Adults often use Lent as an excuse to lose weight by giving up sweets, red meat, or other dietary staples that we blame for our over-all lack of good health.  I am 28 years old and have had an eye opening experience when it comes to this Lenten season.  Giving up vegetables, no matter how bad they are for you, and giving up sweets, no matter how good they taste, doesn’t fully epitomize what the Lenten season is all about.

Pause a moment and reflect why we celebrate Lent.  Someone gave up their life and livelihood just so we could be forgiven of our sins if we choose to seek God’s grace and love.  This is often looked at as the ultimate sacrifice.  God sacrificed his son for us, and his son sacrificed himself for the betterment of all mankind.  Who are we if we do not use and take full advantage of this gift every day?

Being a teacher gives me a unique perspective on this question.  Posted on my board in my classroom is the question I pose to my students on a day to day basis.  “What have you done today that makes you a better person than you were yesterday?”  Well, people of faith, what is it?  How often have you truly looked into the mirror for a period of self-reflection and realized that you could be a better person?  As I stated previously, my eye opening experience came as a result of a visit to the doctor’s office.  It is no secret that I am a big man.  I was a high school athlete, and have vowed over and over again to get into the kind of shape I was when I was 18 and 20 years old. Well, that has not happened, not by a long shot.

I would lose ten pounds, get some compliments, and then rest on my laurels.  Before I knew it, I had gained the ten back, plus an additional five, go hard or go home right? After my last visit to the doctor I realized that being healthy would take more than a fad diet and a quick mouth.  It would take more than giving up sweets for a month.  Like a spiritual journey, this would take an entire life-style change.  I am proud to say that I have stuck to this change for a few weeks now and things are looking up for me.  Clothes fit better, I don’t get tired as easily, and magically, I have still found time to be with the people I love.  The excuse of inconvenience is no longer present.

Why am I equating losing weight to a spiritual journey?  It is simple, and comes back to the question I asked at the beginning of my writing.  “What have you done today to make yourself a better person than you were yesterday?”  This simple quote can honestly change your life, both physically and spiritually.  How long has it been since you have truly talked to God, then paused a moment and listened for an answer?  No person on this planet is perfect, far from it actually.  But if everyone took the meaning of Lent and applied it every day of the year, I think this world would be a far better place, both physically and spiritually.

James Van de Putte

No comments: