Saturday, March 26, 2011

March 26, 2011

Small Things

Read: 1 Kings 19:9-13

I struggled to find some inspiring event to write about for the 2011 Lenten devotions.  I tried to remember some major, impressive thing that I’ve experienced this year.  Then, in January, Charlie made a request for devotions, emphasizing that devotions are about how God has touched us, even in small ways.  Those small things tend to be forgotten because they are, well, small, but something happened to me in early February that made me stop and think.

Part of my daily prayers is to ask for the wisdom and strength to help care for my 90-plus year old aunt in a way that’s best for her.  I also ask God to keep all members of my family safe and healthy.

On this particular day I had an appointment.  I planned to drop by to see my aunt on my way home.  I left my appointment and, as I got in my car, I thought again about stopping to see my aunt.  I planned to do it.  I meant to do it.  I even wanted to do it.  I drove out of the parking lot and promptly made a turn that would take me home without driving past my aunt’s place.

As I pulled into my driveway I slapped myself on the forehead, kind of Homer Simpson-like, and told myself I had forgotten all about seeing my aunt.  With the price of gas I hate to backtrack but I figured I’d go into my house, grab a cup of coffee, then go back to see her.

When I walked into the house Lynn was quickly getting ready to leave.  It was somewhat earlier than she would normally be on the move if she wasn’t going to work.  She called to me, told me our granddaughter Anna was sick, and asked me if I could go pick her up from day care so she could make it to her pediatrician’s office for a rapidly approaching, suddenly made appointment.

All’s well that ends well.  Anna got to the doctor on time and I got to see my aunt but I wonder why that chain of events occurred the way it did.  If I had stopped to see my aunt first, I would not have made it home in time to get Anna from day care.  If, upon my arrival at home, I had immediately pulled out of the driveway to go see my aunt instead of deciding I needed to fortify myself with a cup of coffee, I would have left Lynn with no help in getting Anna to the doctor.  Instead, everything happened in the right order so that the most immediate need was met.

Does God move me like a chess piece, controlling my every action during the day?  I don’t believe so but I do believe he provides a nudge in the right direction once in a while and I believe he got me to where I needed to be on that morning.

Fred Van de Putte

No comments: