Monday, March 28, 2011

March 28, 2011

Giving Thanks Always

Read: 1 Thessalonians 5:16-28

I saw a beautiful sunset the other day.  The clouds were afire with red, orange, and pink against the deepening blue of the sky.
I said to myself, “that is gorgeous.”

I was having dinner at home one night the other week.  The salad was great – mixed greens, tomatoes, pine nuts, all that good stuff.  The pasta was cooked perfectly, and the sauce was just right.
I said to myself, “this is delicious.”

I took my son’s artwork and put it on the refrigerator door (where else?).  The colours were vibrant, the energy of his painting made me smile just to look at it.
I said to myself, “that’s a great picture.”

Each of those scenes is easy to imagine, but they just don’t quite ring true.
•    Putting Christian’s picture on the fridge, I should have told him how nice I thought it was, not myself.
•    Eating the food Heidi had made, I should have told her how delicious it was, not myself.
•    Seeing that sunset, I should have told God how beautiful it was, not myself.

When we’re with people we love, we want to tell them how much we love them.  We want to thank them for what they’ve done for us.  We want to be in conversation with them.

That sunset image is my gateway to a revived prayer life.  After all, I’m always in the presence of God, so why am I not talking with Him?  He wants us to know Him, just as He already knows us, and what’s better than a good chat to really get to know someone?

Prayer:  Father, keep us always aware of your presence, and help us to remember that you’re always more ready to hear us than we are to talk or pray.  Give us an awareness of your listening presence, so that we’ll be more ready to chat with you – all the time.  Amen.

Charlie van Becelaere

No comments: