Wednesday, March 23, 2011

March 23, 2011

A Challenge or an Adventure

Read: Psalm 119:97-105

“When God closes a door, he opens a window.”

That thought lingers in my mind very often, especially after August of 2001 when our only daughter died during childbirth.  I wrote about it in our Lenten Devotions Booklet a couple of years ago.

Approximately fifteen years ago, I went through a period wondering why I was on this earth......  What was I doing to contribute positively to everyday life and to the future?  What was I doing to make this a better world to live in?  What was I going to do in my retirement?  And, in the scheme of things, did I really matter?

I have come to learn through these past 15 years or so, that I really do matter.  That with God’s guidance and help, anything is possible.  I may not like that anything is possible, but it is true.  We only need to pray for his guidance and he is there to help all of us, including me.

The year of 2010 has been a constant challenge for our family.  We struggle with chronic progressive illnesses.  Remember the movie entitled, “Pay It Forward and Back.”  I can relate to that since starting and facilitating a Parkinson’s Support Group for P.D. patients and their caregivers.  GPUMC has been kind to let us use one of their rooms for our meetings once monthly. Betty Durkin is my co-chair when not in Florida. This Group Qualifies as an active mission for our Church.

I believe now that this is, in part, why God has given me the direction and insight and put me on this earth…to lend a hand to those who may be less fortunate than I. Thank you to the people within this Church who have helped me to make this challenge…….an adventure..  Thanks be to God!!!

Karen G. Leigh

No comments: