Thursday, March 07, 2019

March 07, 2019

God, Move Our Hearts
On the Monday morning after Palooza 2019 I was on vacation walking along a beach, my iPhone in my pocket, ear buds in place, listening to our church service from the day before.
I looked at the vast expanse of the Gulf of Mexico thinking about the magnificence of God's works. I remembered the awe I felt watching the Northern lights and I recalled one of my favorite hymns, "How Great Thou Art." The setting by Haydn of Psalm 19, "The heavens are telling the glory of God," started playing in my head.
About then, in my ear buds, I heard Pastor Ray leading the congregation in prayer. He was speaking to God saying "...we all are called by you to do something for the good of the other."
God's glory surely shows in the visible aspects of his creation. It shows just as surely in the love he has for each of us.
When, later in the service, it was announced that the Palooza had made $20,000 Pastor Ray reminded us, "We didn't make any money last night. God moved our hearts to share what God had already given us." Through that sharing, God's love is manifested to some of those who may be less fortunate than we, or different than we, but are no less loved by God.
The physical gifts of creation are spectacular. God's unconditional love for each and every one of us is spectacular. Wouldn't it be spectacular if we all loved each other that same way?


Fred Van de Putte

No comments: