Tuesday, March 12, 2019

March 12, 2019

The Labyrinth
Labyrinths have had many uses over the centuries - from being a confusing structure containing the Minotaur, to being a way to participate in a pilgrimage when you couldn't leave your town. My experience with labyrinths has been more contemplative, restorative, and calming. One week, on a beautiful summer night, a few ladies met at a local outdoor labyrinth. The pattern of this particular labyrinth is such that the path doubles back on itself for one half of the circle until you find yourself in the middle, then you walk back out to the edge and all the way around the outside to the other half and that doubles back on itself until you reach the entrance/exit. The meditation guru of the group led us in a guided meditation, talked about the history of labyrinths and then invited us to walk the one before us as we felt led.
Some of us took off our shoes before we started. The dry grass crunching under our bare feet. I was the first to start and as I walked, I will confess, I didn't 'feel' anything. It was a lovely night and I was surrounded by friends so I was enjoying my time, but I wasn't experiencing anything overly 'spiritual' or life changing. Our meditation expert said we might not have an earth shattering experience, we might just take a very circular walk on a nice evening in the company of wonderful women. So, I wasn't concerned.
But as I kept going and more of us started walking, it struck me. Walking this little path was like walking through life. There were moments when I was by myself, no one around me. There were moments when someone was ahead of me (even though I was the first person in!). Sometimes someone was coming up behind me or walking toward me, but the path would turn them around and they would head off in another direction. While our paths never crossed, there were times when we would walk side by side. Both going in the same direction, shoulder to shoulder. That was my favorite. What a wonderful thing to have a companion with us on our journey, if only for a little while. And what a wonderful thing to be reminded that we have a Spiritual companion with us always, even when we are alone on the journey.
Daphne Coffman

No comments: