Tuesday, March 26, 2019

March 26, 2019

Holy Yoga
Read: Psalm 150: 6
Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord!
I have practiced yoga for 20 years, and have greatly enjoyed the physical and mental benefits. Yoga practice provides an opportunity for mind and body to be in unity through the breath. Be aware of your breath moving in and out of your body and calm your mind. I have also learned many lessons through my yoga practice, such as how to be patient, how to focus on myself and not compare with others, how to persevere, and how to recognize my own strength.
I believe yoga was developed a thousand years ago (?) to provide postures for people to be in, while they practiced meditation. The actual poses are secondary to calming and centering the mind. I have found the practice to be extremely restorative to my spirit, and it has enabled me to have stronger faith and greater will to do God's work.
Holy Yoga came to GPUMC recently, and we practice Saturday mornings at 10 am in the Great Hall, the old sanctuary to me, where I spent many happy hours in worship over many years. It feels so wonderful in that space, where I believe the walls and ceiling are "coated" with prayer, scripture and song. It's a perfect place to practice, where the leader can be up a carpeted step from the rest of us. The instructor leads us through a slow flow of poses with music, but begins with a scripture and a prayer. How powerful to have that scripture in mind through the practice! It's a focal point, a place to return with our breath, and something to take with us through the rest of our day. It's repeated at the end of class, before and after our final rest. It feels so good and right to praise God through this practice!
Holy Yoga Detroit is working with the under-served in the metro area, bringing the healing power of breath, stretch and scripture, to children and women who have been in abusive situations. They work in schools, shelters and centers to bring Jesus and yoga to people in need. What an awesome ministry! We are so lucky at GPUMC to be a part of it!
Dear God, thank you for opportunities to serve you and praise you. You are amazing! You surpass our expectations! Help us to appreciate our good health, and to help those in need. Amen

Anne Sullivan

No comments: