Monday, March 25, 2019

March 25, 2019

Thankfulness Series, Entry 2
Birds of a Feather… A year or so before the Charlie episode in Entry 1, Heidi came and helped me through a similar day. Jeri was still in Intensive Care in an induced coma on a ventilator and was suffering from a bad infection in a recent leg amputation. She had already passed away twice and the Lord sent her back both times, but she was just barely alive.
Three teams of doctors were advising me to take her whole leg off to save her life. I was still in a wheelchair and going into the throes of a traumatic brain injury myself, and I had to make a decision. Something inside kept telling me not to agree. Then an Air Force Veteran Nurse overheard the conversations between me and the doctors. He brought another doctor with a new idea that could save her knee. Initially I was warned that the chances of her even surviving the procedure were as low as 20% and no optimism for keeping her knee. But deep inside something kept telling me to go with it, so I approved the new avenue.
Heidi came and spent the whole day with me in the waiting room. We prayed all day together. When the doctor came to us, survival wasn’t even an issue anymore and he gave us a 60% chance for success in the leg. In a matter of 3 hours we were up 80% on survival and 60% on keeping the knee.
I remember Delbert Schneider most for his beer-boiled Wisconsin Bratwurst. But I thank the Lord every day for Del and Betty who gave us Heidi. She helped me through the most grievous decision of my life. To my dying day, I’ll always thank God for you.


Ron Draper

No comments: