Wednesday, February 17, 2021

February 17 – Ash Wednesday

Reflections from the Cabin…

Read: Luke 8:4-8

As many of you know, we (my wife, Dar, & I) had a cabin in the woods near the Au Sable River not far from Roscommon, Michigan. It was lost to a fire last year. I come to this place as often as my schedule allows as it provides a place to be refreshed and to re-connect with God. What follows is an article I wrote a few years ago (a “re-write” if you will) but, I trust that it is worth sharing with you in hopes that you may find some measure of renewal and re-connecting with our Creator. Enjoy.

Welcome to “the cabin.” As many of you know, this place is where I go to “get away,” to walk in the woods, enjoy the wilderness, the company of a few close to me, read a good book (or several), a cup of coffee, or just the quiet of “the cabin.” It is here that I seek (and find) refreshing in reading God’s Word, in praying and conversing with God. It is the place the allows me the quiet to hear God’s whisper as well as the shouts of my own thoughts.

What follows are just some random thoughts and reflections shared with you along with a prayer that may cause you to pause from your busy day and ponder various areas of your own faith journey.

If you were here this morning, you would find me reading four different books (I pick up where I left off with each visit). The books? The Gospel of Luke, 1 Corinthians, a book about FDR (“A Traitor to His Class”), and a Nicholas Sparks novel. A love story, an educational type book, and something to feed my spirit – I wonder if all of us need to be more intentional to maintain a well rounded lifestyle? I wonder if each of us could do better to maintain a healthy balance within our own lives.

Outside, I noticed a Blue Jay “pushing” out all of the other birds from the feeder, scattering seed all over the ground in his attempt to feed himself. Also, the less “pushy” birds resigned themselves to feeding on what was dropped on the ground by the “bully Blue Jay” – I wonder if sometimes I too am like the pushy Blue Jay, bullying my way and leaving others to fend for themselves? Are there areas in my life where I could show more Christ-like grace and concern for others?

Still looking outside and past the bird feeder, I notice that the canvas cover on the boat has an area that is not properly supported and has sagged allowing water to pool on top of the cover. Over the winter this will cause a problem with ice forming and tearing the canvas. I wonder if there may be areas of my life that are not properly supported through prayer and study, exercise and diet, rest and refreshment? As the canvas cover on the boat sags, are there areas of my life (or your life) that are running the risk of “sagging?”

Well, it’s about time to pack up and head home. I pray that God speaks to you in many different ways, that you are open to His whispers as well as His shouts.

Hope to see you in Church and may God bless you abundantly until we meet again.
    
Pastor Ray

No comments: