Monday, February 22, 2021

Monday, February 22, 2021

Turning No into Yes

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” – John 14: 27, Revised Standard Version

Every place I turned in 2020 seemed like a bunch of “No.” Can’t do this. Can’t do that. Can’t go here. Can’t go there.

At first, I was angry and frustrated that the corona virus robbed me of my crazy, busy but very rich life. But the corona virus gave me so much more than it took away. No need to make excuses about choosing to stay home instead of going someplace. Staying home was the right thing to do. Quiet and more isolated hours. Hours and hours with my husband, literally hundreds of meals together, just the two of us. Time to think and to re-evaluate and to reflect. Time to just be.

I’m ever so sorry for the loss of lives, the gaps in families and friendships that cannot be replaced. I’m sorry that it’s kept me away from friends and my family. I’m sorry for all of the businesses that have been hurt by this and by the loss of income in so many homes. I cannot deny that this pandemic has caused real pain for millions of people around the world.

At the same time, however, I am embracing gratitude for all that it has given me. I’m grateful for the quiet moments sitting in my backyard during the summer or by the fire inside this winter. I’m grateful that so many distractions have been stripped away. I’m grateful that it made me think in new ways about how to connect with family and friends: dinners, birthday parties, Christmas morning, Thanksgiving dinner, and games of charades, all thanks to Zoom.

Prayer: Even as I grieve for the enormous problems of the world, help me to focus on the small parts of my world that bring me joy. A sunrise, the lapping of water at the lake, the quiet breathing of a loved one. Even in the darkest days, remind me that there is hope and the promise of a new life.

Joan Richardson

No comments: