Sunday, February 21, 2021

Sunday, February 21, 2021

The People on My Path

In all your ways acknowledge him and he will direct your paths. - Proverbs 3:6
Show me your ways, O Lord. Teach me your paths. - Psalm 25:4


When I was younger, significant events in the church were marked with gifts of scriptural items such as plaques, boxes, wall hangings, and jewelry. I received several of these including a ceramic planter with the Lord’s prayer. But the most memorable was a plaque upon my confirmation into the church which had Proverbs 3:6. This passage reminds us to acknowledge the Lord on our path in life.

In that regard, I have learned a number of things about our path in life. We each have our own path; it can be perplexing to know what path among options we should choose; the right path may not be the easiest; and the path of life is filled with challenges for everyone. For this devotion I would like to focus on the people on my path. Are they there to bless us or lead us astray? Are they there to teach us lessons or encumber us? Are they sent by God or is it just an accident that they are on our path? Are they on our path so we can help them or are they sent to help us?

The theologian Henri Nouwen said: “Pay attention to the people God puts in your path if you want to discern what God is up to in your life.” I never used to pay much attention to the people on my path. Maybe that’s because I’ve been preoccupied with taking care of my family and various other responsibilities. With ‘retirement’ I’ve had more time to think and contemplate. During COVID I’ve become much more aware of how important being connected to people is. I’ve also been able to reflect on my life and see how my friendships and experiences have impacted me. What a gift that God has put people in my life to be in fellowship with, who have supported me during challenging times, who have ministered to me and given me hope, who have given me the opportunity to minister to them and in so doing find purpose.

It is such a blessing that God gave us human companionship. Not all the people in my path have been there to promote my good. Yet even those people ultimately have had a positive effect on me because they’ve made me stronger and more focused. Some people are on our path life long and others just for a season. Ask God to help you appreciate the people on your path and to guide you on your path. Ask him to help you discern his will for you with others. Ask him to send someone on your path that you can help. When you travel with God on your path you can’t go wrong.

Prayer: Dear Father help me pay attention to the people on my path and to discern your will for my life. Send someone on my path that I can be a blessing to or who can be a blessing to me.

Pat Deck

No comments: