Saturday, February 27, 2021

Saturday, February 27, 2021

Without Words

Read UM Hymnal #454, verse 2

When we adopted our dog, Jax, from Grosse Pointe Animal Clinic, Heidi told us that Dr. Herzog said, “Jax always has to have the last word.” Boy, was he right!

Jax is definitely the most vocal dog we've ever had. I'm not sure if it's the collie in him or just his temperament. Jax has vocalizations for all occasions. There's the “someone has dared to walk on my sidewalk” bark, the “UPS or mail carrier is here – should I chase them away?” crazy bark, and the “I think that squirrel is trespassing” even crazier bark.

There's also a grand series of groans – tired, stretching, or getting a back rub. There's also play talk – tug of war fake growls and “throw this toy for me” barking. He has special yips for the people he loves to see, and crying and whining when he's left behind alone. All these vocalizations are without actual words, but we understand his intent.

I was thinking about our own communications with God. When we pray, sometimes we're answered with a feeling inside. I've had occasions when I'm compelled to do something; maybe by that voice in my head – God's calling me without words, but just as effectively. I think we all need to listen with our hearts as well as our ears, and perhaps the answers we seek will materialize.

Prayer request: Dogs and those who love them

Sue DeWitt

No comments: