Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Yes, Virginia –

“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under Heaven.” - Ecclesiastes 3:1
“When the time is right, I. the Lord, will make it happen.” - Isaiah 60:22


In December 1978, I was a Senior in High School and for the first time in my life was not in the Christmas spirit. My father had died very unexpectedly on December 2nd, and I had to make some pretty hard choices. The reality was my suddenly-single Mother was the sole supporter of four daughters ranging in age from 7 to 19. My dream of going to Clemson was dashed, as not even my scholarship could make the out-of-state tuition manageable.

When Mama decided we would continue to have our traditional Christmas Eve Open House, I was not in the mood to get the house/food ready, but at least it was a diversion. In the end, it was the perfect decision as it provided a setting for a miracle.

Yes… some time during the evening of December 24th, gifts magically appeared on the front porch. There were tags on each with the name of each daughter. The note accompanying the gifts read:
“There truly is a Santa Claus, and as long as there is good in the hearts and minds of men, this spirit shall prevail. These small gifts are to help fill your loneliness for the one who couldn’t be with you this Christmas. They are given because of his affection for you and his goodness and kindness to others. Accept them in the spirit of Christmas, and may God bless you, every one. Love, Santa Claus”

We never knew ‘who’ brought the gifts. It really didn’t matter. It was enough to accept that someone was really kind and thoughtful. Plus, they knew us pretty well as the gifts were perfect for each of us.

Fast forward 40 years: I decided to go to my High School Reunion. I figured enough time had passed (and we had all aged enough) that I better go back or risk never seeing some of these folks again. Best decision ever! It was a wonderful evening, and seeing dear friends was such a precious gift. Towards the end of the evening, I was talking with one of my dearest friends, Rick.

Rick told me how grateful he was that I would make the trek to the reunion. His reason was not just wanting to see me, but to share a secret he had held for 40+ years. You see, Rick’s parents and my parents were fast friends, vicious bridge players, plus my father was their accountant.

Rick turned the conversation to Christmas Eve 1978 and asked if I remembered the surprise gifts. Of course I did!

He elaborated that his parents had a tax-planning meeting with my dad in the Fall of 1978. At the meeting’s end, my father mentioned that he was not feeling particularly well – which concerned them as my father had suffered a heart attack 8+ years before. Daddy asked a favor of his clients: if anything were to happen to him, please see that ‘his girls’ got the gifts he had already purchased for them.

My childhood mystery was replaced now by the magic of Christmas, and the knowledge that miracles do happen as long as we retain a sense of childlike wonder, and know God will give us answers in His time.

I hugged and thanked my dear friend and got more than a few tears in my eyes.

In God’s time, I had my answer – and yes, there is good in the world, and Santa Claus will always exist for me.

Carolyn Franklin

No comments: