Friday, March 22, 2024

Friday, March 22, 2024

Faith-Shaped Lives

Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it.” – Proverbs 22:6

Recently, my great aunt, who is 103, shared a poem with me, written by one of her brothers about their tiny country church where their family grew up.

After reading this, I couldn’t help but realize the profound impact of so many lives upon mine. I’ve always thought of my grandma as a saint. Reserved, hard-working and deeply intelligent, my grandmother was quietly faithful, her Bible always near. It’s true what is said, “actions speak louder than words.” My grandma lived her faith.

I’ve also always considered my great aunt as one of my heroes. Loving and kind, always pouring into others, she even even left a job she loved to serve her country as a nurse in the Army when that was uncommon for women to do.

Now, through this poem, written by Grandma and Aunt Neva‘s brother, Myron, I see the faith that was modeled to me extended further than I knew. It enveloped a family. It shaped their existence. It is no accident it has shaped mine as well.

Prayer: Dear God, please guide my footsteps, mouth and heart, as I see to continue extending my family’s faith tradition to my own children. Amen.

Sandy Cameron


Here is the poem my great aunt shared with me:

Modest Worship

Tho' it's just a country chapel
without modern structural frills
I'm sure God looks with favor
on the task that it fulfills.

No, the structure isn't fancy
but it serves its purpose well
and it takes me back to childhood
with each ringing of the bell.

I recall in early evening
how its mellow tone would tell
everyone when time to worship
with a temporary spell.

And it has that same attraction
after many years have passed.
And the people just as friendly
as when I attended last.

 As I turn and gaze about me
at the faces plain but proud
there are some that I find missing
from the old time-tested crowd.

Yet when I visit in the churchyard
and on the simple marble slabs
are the names of those that's missing
and my finding makes me sad.

They have earned their long vacation
from this world of endless strife
yet this living generation can but
praise their useful life.

And as they wait for judgment
there is still no grand display.
But I'm sure God will forgive them
for their modest sort of way.

 Written by Myron C. Benson about Boblett Church

No comments: