Sunday, March 03, 2024

Sunday, March 3, 2024

Grounded In God’s Love

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me. Do not cast me way from your presence, and do not take your holy spirit from me Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and sustain in me a willing spirit. – Psalm 51:10-12 NRSV Bible

These verses are part of the Morning portion of the Daily Devotions for Individuals and Family found in the Book of Common Prayer. Over the years I have used this devotion to begin my day, so much so that I have memorized this opening prayer based on Psalm 51.

Over the years I have spoken these words for a variety of reasons: as a vow to be better grounded in God and God’s way, as a confession for my sinfulness and need for God, as a reminder of who God is and God’s yearning for me, and as an inspiration in my journey to grow as a disciple of Jesus Christ. Isn’t that the way it is with familiar and memorized scripture passages, they meet us where we are and when we are. Although God’s word never changes, we do... all the time. It’s the price we pay for living in this reality. And so, if all around me be in some form of change, then these memorized passages ground me in God and God’s way. Even if my life is in seemingly constant motion (seen and unseen), I am still in God’s hands. God’s promises are still within my reach. God is with me. And that brings me comfort, and it also challenges me to take stock in my faith journey.

Am I willing to be made new? Am I willing to be shaped and molded by God and God’s way? Am I willing to let God be that big a part of my life? Each day we have the opportunity to reflect on such questions. Each day we have the opportunity to say “Yes” to God once more… thank God!

Prayer: Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me, today. Restore my joy for you today, and sustain me in the midst of all the change that I may encounter today. Amen.

Rev. David Eardley

No comments: