Wednesday, March 06, 2024

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

God Needs Us?

Read: 1John 4:16

I think most Christians would agree with the statements, “God is love” and “We need God.” Recently, my sister tossed a curve ball question at me which caused me to ponder. She said, “I know we need God, but why does God need us?”

I thought to myself of God as all-sufficient, omnipotent, creator of all which exists. Why would the source of love need us? Then I thought of all the scriptural references to love that I could starting with “God is Love….(1 John 4:16…). Then, 1 Corinthians 13, especially verses 4-8. And, so many more verses. It finally dawned on me that God needs us as an outlet for his love.

Love does no good unless it is given away. Love must be given away. Self love is necessary to keep one alive and to kindle the fire of God’s love within to be given away, to do the good which God would have us do.

So, my take on why God needs us may not be the correct one, and certainly not the only one, but it helps me answer my sister’s question and my own.

Prayer: Our God, source of love, continue stoking the fire of love that you share with us so that we may share it with everyone. Amen.

Mike Bernhardt

No comments: