Sunday, March 24, 2024

Palm Sunday, March 24, 2024

A Call to Serve in the Middle

Read: Matthew 18:20

Late last spring I attended a YCM meeting at which parents of middle and high schoolers were invited to voice their thoughts about future programming at the church. I surprised myself with how many ideas I had pouring out, and was quick to disagree with those who raised concerns of having too few kids to make it "worth it," or the idea of planning only quarterly events. Fast-forward to the end of the summer and I realized that the one with all the big ideas was now being asked to head it all up. Because I come by my Methodism honestly, I certainly wasn't going to say no.

As the first official meeting of the new Middle School Youth Group approached I decided I had better pull in the 4th graders too so I would have more potential participants. The day of our first event, I hoped and prayed that there would be at least 1 other child who didn't come from my own house. I was so relieved when we had 4 youth and a smiling and ever-encouraging Reverend David show up. If you're wondering, this means we had 2 kids outside of my own join us, thus doubling my goal! The kids had fun, ate pizza, and shared lots of big ideas for the coming year. It showed me that it didn't take a lot but that we had much room to grow. Fast-forward to January, and while gathering photos to make a bulletin board, I found it hard to limit myself to an amount that would fit in the space I had. I looked back and saw all of the fun things we did together, like baking a monster batch of cookies (that left me in the kitchen until 10:30pm), a failed movie night that turned into a way more fun game night, a very messy pumpkin carving extravaganza, and the list goes on and on.

Even more meaningful for me was looking back and remembering the friends who joined our small core group of church youth, and the friends that the friends brought. The excitement and joy that bubbled over at the simplest of pleasures. The commitment that these youth have not only to come for the fun, but also to step up to serve. Whether it was decorating and table setting for a Soup Supper, staying to do the dishes after the fun, harvesting the last of the garden produce to share with the congregation, packing lunches for the Noah Project, sorting rummage for the Rummage Sale, making luminaria to light the way on Christmas Eve, or cutting and tying 20 blankets for our Shelter Week guests, these kids have answered the call to live and love like Jesus.

It is my hope that even though they may not fully understand the difference they are making now, that they will carry on fellowshipping together, bringing others in, and serving out of a place of joy in their hearts for many years to come.

I am most grateful for the calling to serve these youth, and lead them down this righteous path. I have felt myself challenged and been exhausted at times, but I have always received more back from these experiences than I have given.

Before closing with a scripture and prayer, I would be remiss not to thank those GPUMC members who make up a list too long to name here who have come to offer support during a meeting, share new (and old) ideas and encourage me along the way. Most especially I need to thank my husband, Georg, for unwittingly agreeing to be my sidekick at almost every event, for without his help I don't think I would have been able to do this.

In closing, on September 10th, during the church service on the day of our first meeting, Reverend David offered a scripture that would inspire and comfort me that morning, then continue to guide me as I planned and anticipated each of our meetings. It was from Matthew 18:20: "For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them."

This has stayed with me and reminded me always that if 2 kids come, God is there. If 20 kids come and I think to myself, "What have I done?" God is there. Where God is, there is great love, and these youth will surely carry that with them as they go on about their weeks.

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father:
We feel your Spirit in the quiet moments as we learn and grow together. We feel you there in the joy and laughter of a bustling room overflowing with energetic kids. We thank you for meeting us wherever we are and in whatever we are doing, calling us to serve and spread your love. We thank you for giving us the time, the resources, and the youth and adults to answer this call. We pray that you continue to bless and watch over our youth in all they do. In your holy name we pray. Amen.

Emily Zerling, Middle School Youth leader

No comments: