Wednesday, March 05, 2014

March 05, 2014 – Ash Wednesday

Ways to be Unhurried During Lent
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10a
Lent...forty days plus six Sundays...a time to prepare ourselves for the day that defines who we are as the people called Christian...Easter.
There are many ways to observe this season of the Christian year. Often, we think about giving up something that we enjoy....making a sacrifice of sorts. I would like to suggest that we observe this Lent by making room for something. Yes, I know, we are all very busy people, so making room for something else may feel as if it's just too much to ask. But in a few easy steps, with as much or as little time as you want to offer, here are five ways to help you focus on the season of penitence, repentance, and new life.
1. Create a sanctuary outside of the sanctuary...your bedroom, an office, your kitchen table...a quiet place.
2. Light a candle to symbolize the presence of God's spirit in that place.
3. Listen to some meditative music.
4. Be silent. Find the quiet center. As the hymn says: "Come and find the quiet center in the crowded life we lead, find the room for hope to enter, find the frame where we are freed: clear the chaos and the clutter, clear our eyes that we can see all the things that really matter, be at peace and simply be."
5. To help you find the quiet center, silently repeat simple contemplative refrains such as "O Lord, hear my prayer, O Lord, hear my prayer. When I call, answer me. O Lord, hear my prayer. O Lord, hear my prayer. Come and listen to me."

Prayer: In this holy season, O God, quiet my spirit so that I may drink from the well of your life-giving water, feast on the gifts of your Son's sacrifice, and find rest for my soul in you. Amen.

Rev. Judy May

No comments: