Monday, March 31, 2014

March 31, 2014

An Embarrassment of Blessings


Over the years, I’ve had several people say to me that they would love to write for our Lenten Devotions book, but “it would just sound like I’m bragging.”

It’s typically that God has blessed them so much that they want to share their Joy and to say “thank you” to God and their church family. Then they think about someone they know who has been fighting an illness, or has just suffered the loss of a loved one, or any number of other calamities, and it seems it would almost be mean to talk about their own blessings. Basically, they’re embarrassed to be so blessed.

I completely understand that reluctance, but I’ve been rereading some of the Callahan stories by Spider Robinson recently, and Callahan’s Law struck me as exactly the antidote to that thinking: "Shared pain is lessened; shared Joy, increased.”

Not only that, but then I remembered that my blessings come from God, I’m not bragging about me when I share my blessings, I’m bragging about God. When it seems totally unfair that I get as much (or as little) as I do, I think about that parable where the workers are all paid the same amount by the landowner, even though some worked much longer than others did.

It’s not up to me to decide what’s fair – it’s up to God. When it doesn’t make sense to me, when it looks like He’s playing favorites, I have to remember who He is, and that I know that I don’t know everything – frankly, I hardly know anything – but that I trust Him, love Him, and can always count on His goodness.

So, we can’t be embarrassed by the ways God has blessed us. What is it to you if He gives you more than you deserve? It’s not a contest, it’s a gift.

Charlie van Becelaere

No comments: