Monday, March 17, 2014

March 17, 2014

Please, I’d Rather Do It Myself!”


It can be hard to ask for help. I want to do it myself – I don’t want to admit that I can’t.

Naaman needed help to be cured of his leprosy, but when he was told it was something as simple as washing in the Jordan, he went away angry. He expected something special from Elisha and his God; after all, he was the commander of the army! His servants reminded him that “if the prophet had commanded you to do something difficult, would you not have done it?” He relented and washed and was clean, but I think the interesting point is that he would have jumped at the chance to do something difficult.

I think I understand Naaman. Like many of us, he went to God prepared to say, “OK, God, what do you want me to do to be healed?” We often go to God saying, “OK, God, what do you want me to do so I can be with You?” When God says, “I’ve already done it; accept My gift and come be with Me,” we hesitate. There’s got to be something for us to do, it can’t be all His doing. We’re offended by “done” when we want to “do.”

It all comes down to pride, I think, and that’s one hard thing to get past.
As the hymn says:
Jesus paid it all,
all to Him I owe.
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.
There’s nothing I can add to what Jesus already did on the Cross; I just have to accept the gift of salvation, and let Him make me into who I am meant to be. It’s a hard thing to do, to admit that I can’t do anything.

Charlie van Becelaere

No comments: