Friday, March 14, 2014

March 14, 2014

The Flame

John 8:12, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.” - NRSV

During worship I often meditate on the flame of the altar candles.

E. Byron Anderson states in, WorshipMatters: A United Methodist Guide to Worship Work, Vol. II, "The presence of the light reminds us of Jesus’ coming into our world and into our lives. The light is carried into the worship service as a symbol of Jesus’ coming into the presence of the worshiping community. Many congregations use two candles on the altar to point out that Jesus was both a human being and God. At the end of the service, the light is carried out into the world to show that Jesus Christ is for all people everywhere…The acolyte leaves the worship service carrying out the lighted candle lighter. This symbolizes the light of Jesus Christ going out into the world where believers are to serve."

I reflect on the symbolism of the flame. Not only the light of Jesus but the trinity of the flame. For me, the flame helps describe God’s Trinity;
    God the Father
    God the Son
    God the Holy Spirit

There are many illustrations for the Trinity, such as H2O being water, ice and steam. All different forms, but all are H2O. Another illustration is an egg having a shell, egg yolk, and egg white, but the egg illustration shows that there would be "parts" to God, which isn't the case.

When I view the candle’s flame I first see the Flame, God the Father, as in the burning bush or pillar of fire. Then the Light of Jesus, God the Son, the Light of the World. With the burning of the candle there is heat. The warmth and comfort of the Flame, God the Holy Spirit.

On May 24, 1738, John Wesley recorded in his journal, “I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ, Christ alone, for salvation; and an assurance was given me that He had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death.”

Along with Rev. John Wesley I am grateful for the presence of God through the comforting warmth of the Holy Spirit and the light of Jesus in my life.

Rejoicing,
Denver Higley

No comments: