Thursday, March 06, 2014

March 06, 2014

Christmas Magic

Luke 18:16 Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

As many of you know, I spent Christmas in Aspen looking after my two grandsons, Ethan, 6, and Charlie, 3. On Christmas Eve we attended the Aspen United Methodist Church, built in 1890. Since we had squirmy children, we got to church really early and staked out the very back pew in case we needed to usher noisy kids to the Fellowship Hall. We got to church so early that I had a chance to chat up the minister and she mentioned that she was extremely pleased with her organist and that we were in for a treat. (Not wanting to “one up her” and being a tourist, I didn’t mention our own amazing organist, Douglas). (I not incidentally helped put out their luminaria. Did I say we were early?!).
So the service started with a lovely prelude, as good as the minister had promised. And when the music stopped, the church was breathlessly silent. And then Charlie, age 3, never known to let silence last more than 2 seconds if he can help it, cheerfully chirped “thank you.” And since the church was so quiet, everyone heard him. And most people chuckled but I am sure I was not the only one who thought of the expression, “out of the mouths of babes.” 
 
The service continued and the minister announced Children’s Time so both boys went up to the altar where there was a manger with the minister’s very own doll from childhood laying in the manger. Ethan was so taken by the minister’s comments about the doll that he reached in and cradled the doll in his arms and looked intently into his eyes. Frankly it was almost as if Aspen UMC had hired my grandchildren to be adjuncts to the service, players in this pageant called Christmas Eve.

Prayer Focus: That we all too may experience the awe and wonder of the birth of Jesus.

Vivian Anderson

No comments: