Friday, March 20, 2020

Friday, March 20, 2020

Murphy
(audio version)
Read: Matthew 25:34-45

Standing on the corner waiting for a group to arrive at a restaurant in Atlanta, I was approached by a homeless man looking for some money. I often make sure I have a five-dollar bill just in case, but I also am very particular about who gets that bill.  He asked for money and I chose my standard response of “Sorry, I don’t carry cash.”  Instead of moving on, he said he really needed to go buy some new colostomy bags. Then he showed me the hole in his side! Well you can’t make that up. I dug around and found that five folded up and laying at the bottom of my purse. He was very grateful and commented that you just never know what you have unless you look. He thanked me and started walking away. I caught up to him and asked him what his name was. Murphy. I then asked if I could pray for him and he said there’s nothing more important than prayer.

And so I began to walk back towards the restaurant where I was supposed to be waiting for the group, intending to pull out my phone where I keep a prayer list. As I walked I realized Murphy was following me. Uh oh, had I made a mistake, or was he just headed back the way he had originally come? I stopped and he stopped. Definitely following me. As I looked at him he bowed his head. And then it finally got through my thick head. He wanted me to pray for him right there. And so I put my hand on his shoulder and said a prayer. I spent several hours afterward thinking of much better prayers until I finally let myself off the hook. I had prayed for him, no matter how feebly. Plus I felt like I had learned not to put off praying for someone until it was convenient for me.

A few days later when I lifted Murphy’s name again, it dawned on me that I had just met Jesus, complete with a hole in his side!


Prayer: Dear Jesus, thank you for showing up in unexpected places. Help me to look for you in different places and different faces. Amen

Jacki Rumpp (College Grove UMC)

No comments: