Wednesday, March 04, 2020

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

ACTS

Read: Luke 11: 1-4

I am enjoying “A Disciple’s Path” along with many others at GPUMC. Since I have been a United Methodist since 1968, and a Methodist before that, I am very familiar with the history and doctrine of our denomination. I can always learn new things, though, and old things are made new through the lens of time.

I particularly enjoyed the units about prayer. My prayer life has been long, varied, and active, but I noticed that I was missing some of the elements of prayer, modeled after the Lord’s Prayer, that we learned from Jesus.

The ACTS form of prayer includes Adoration, Contrition, Thanksgiving, and Supplication. I LOVE beginning a prayer with adoration. It reminds me to whom I am talking: our spectacular creator, loving God, awesome guide, maker of me and of all that I see! Starting with these ways to address our God just puts me into a different frame of mind to begin prayer. It feels quieter and more special at the same time.

Contrition is a newer habit for me. I recognize that I stand before God’s glory as a sinner, as a weak human who needs God. I admit actions and thoughts that have not been my best. I promise to do better. This portion of prayer puts me in a humble position and reminds me not to become self-righteous. I am able to come before our Lord with honesty and openness.

Thanksgiving comes easily – praying about blessings large and small can fill many hours of prayer.

When we ask our God’s attention on certain issues and people, that is supplication. I also can spend many hours requesting love and light for people whom I love, people who are struggling, disasters that happen worldwide. God is always needed in tiny and huge situations.

This form of prayer does not include the most difficult element – listening. I am working on listening for God’s call in every prayer also, and this is new for me. It requires me to be quiet and still. I love to be in God’s presence in prayer. It helps my days and nights to go smoothly.

Prayer: Loving Creator, thank you for blessing me, a humble part of your magnificent creation. Help my unbelief and keep my faith strong. Let me listen for your voice and your call. In Jesus’s name, Amen.

Anne Sullivan

No comments: