Friday, March 06, 2020

Friday, March 6, 2020

Sisters, Sisters, There Were Never Such Devoted Sisters

Read: Matthew 5:13-16

My sister and I like to sing the song from the movie White Christmas, “Sisters.” Though the words are whimsical, the message rings true. We are devoted to and feel blessed to have one another.

I am participating in the small group Disciple’s Path program, based on the study guide written by Rev. James Harnish. The study asks us to think about who in our lives introduced us to our faith and our church, and who influenced you to follow Christ.

There have been several that have encouraged me along the way, including my parents, my Granny, and some key clergy. But having been asked to think about it, my sister is the greatest beacon for me to continue my faith journey and be a full participant in the life of our church.

Church was central in our family growing up. Our parents taught Sunday School, and worked as leaders for our MYF group. It was my sister who demonstrated to me the value of our faith community. We were in choir together, youth group, and Sunday school. We washed many dishes after Lenten dinners with the other youth, washed cars, cooked dinners, and participated in retreats.

When she got married and moved out of state, she and my brother-in-law continued to model Christian teachings for me. They included me unconditionally and supported me as I finished college and struck out on my own. They shared their sons with me, allowing me to play a central role in their lives. Their kindness and generosity and Christian love has sustained me.

For a time I did not attend church. My sister never questioned me about my absence. She did however lead me back. She recruited me to help her with projects at church along with others when the church budget was limited. The communal work drew me back. We painted my way back to Christ.

I am grateful every day for my sister’s love and leadership. She is a rock for her family and many friends. Her quiet leadership and loving spirit has made a huge difference for so many. The other day, I was in my sister’s basement playing with her granddaughter. We ran across a golden book, entitled So Big. I remembered that book, the words the sweet illustrations, but most of all I remember by sister reading it to me. How lucky am I?

Nancy Grose

No comments: