Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Alone

Read: Jeremiah 29:11

I dislike the term "widower." In my mind I'm still married and always will be. When you read this, Shirley will have been gone more than two years, but that hasn't changed my outlook. I said from the beginning "I have to live it but I don't have to like it." To paraphrase a line from a song about service men and women who didn't come back "she's in a better place up there – but she sure left a big hole down here."

There are some "pluses" to living alone, but they don't outweigh that one big "negative." I have changed my middle name many times to suit the occasion. Often it is "cope." Sometimes it is "audacious," or "klutz," or "inept," and one time it was "social butterfly." Generally it should be "lucky" because of all the people in the world – she chose me!

I know lucky is a worldly word and the real reason for my good fortune is divine intervention. I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, but I know I didn't manage to win her on my own. You don't know anyone more blessed than I. If you want examples of God's infinite wisdom – look no further than Charlie and Jacki.

Jack van Becelaere

A Winner

Read: Matthew 5:14-16

The general idea is to leave this world better when you leave than it was when you got here. If that's the only criterion, then I am a winner. I claim an 8% improvement (which I rounded up from 7.5%) for the two proofs – Charlie and Jacki!

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have the best mother allowed – but they were. Both are integral parts of their respective churches (not a whole lot of thanks to me). Both are integral parts of their workforce. I couldn't be more proud of how they turned out and who they married.

It's a great comfort to me about how I am leaving the world!

Jack van Becelaere

No comments: