Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Out of the Mouths of Babes – Part II
(audio version)
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

As some of you know, my two Cleveland grandsons took their first communion in the Catholic church last Easter. Friends have asked me how I felt about these baptized Protestants becoming Catholic, and my response has always been that I am not their parents, just their grandparent.

Well, this last Christmas we were traveling overseas together and we went into an old, Catholic church. At the back of the church were candles which could be purchased in memory of a loved one and my 9-year-old now-Catholic grandson asked his dad to buy a candle so that the three of them, dad, brother, and grandson, could pray for Boppa (Larry -grandfather and father-in-law). And so the dad bought a candle and the three of them bowed their heads and Charlie proceeded to pray that he hoped Boppa was fine where he was. Then they crossed themselves and went on their way.

When my son-in-law told me this story, I was so grateful to those catechism teachers for encouraging my grandsons to be comfortable talking to God. Garrison Keillor always said that the average Protestant would rather die than to have to pray out loud in public. I think that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but in the case of Charlie, he felt right at home talking to God about someone he loved and missed.

Vivian Anderson

No comments: