Tuesday, March 03, 2020

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Out of the Mouths of Babes – Part I

Read: Acts 9:36-43


We should never underestimate the huge value of Sunday School for educating our children. I guess that few people in the church will ever dispute that, but at the same time, those who teach are rewarded in ways they may never anticipate.

Last Memorial Day Sunday, my grandchildren (ages 8 and 11) and their parents were in church to hear Boppa’s (Larry’s) name read as one of those in our congregation who had passed since the previous Memorial Day. I took the children to Sunday School after the Chancel Chat until the end of the service when the names were read.

Lisa Sicklesteel was teaching the combined Sunday School class that morning and the Bible lesson was from the book of Acts about how Peter raised Tabitha from the dead. To be honest I wasn’t really familiar with that story. According to Acts, Peter was in town when one of his followers, Tabitha, fell sick and died. Tabitha’s family immediately called Peter to come to pray with them, which he did; and as he was praying Tabitha came back to life.

Well my grandson, Charlie, age 8, listened to that story carefully and then asked: “Why couldn’t they have done that to Boppa?” Well, why indeed. I wasn’t there to hear Lisa’s answer but I’m sure it gave her pause as it did me when she told this story.

Let us never pass up a chance to learn from our children.

Vivian Anderson

No comments: