Friday, March 20, 2009

March 20, 2009

Can't Pray?

Read Romans 8: 26-27

“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.” -1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18

There are times when I try to pray and can't. I make resolutions that I’m going to pray every day, pray for certain people, pray for certain situations and then I don't. Sometimes I’m just plain tired. Sometimes I’m distracted and just can’t seem to get in the proper mood for prayer. Sometimes I’m down in the dumps and the last thing I feel like doing is praying. Sometimes the number of people and the number of things to pray for seems overwhelming. I say to myself, “What’s the use”. Nobody seems to be getting better. Situations remain unchanged. I don’t have the time to pray for all these people and causes! I get discouraged. I stop praying. Then, I feel guilty. I think to myself, this is no way to carry on. I tell myself, “You need contact with God! The people and situations need to be raised up to God!” Thank goodness it’s not all up to me.

It always seems that God sends me some sort of subtle message that says relax; back off for a little while. God knows what's in my head and heart. Haven't I ever heard of the Holy Spirit? Paul wrote a letter to the Romans in which he addressed this very inability to pray. Chapter 8, verses 26&27 states that when we can’t pray or when we don’t know what to pray about, the Holy Spirit prays for us. Just keeping those words in mind helps me to relax, feel less guilty and understand that not being able to pray at times is normal. There are times in our lives when for whatever reason, we just cannot pray. It’s on days like that when Paul’s words remind me that I’m not alone in prayer. The Holy Spirit is praying and friends are praying. I’ll be back to it in good time.

Mike Bernhardt (from March 8, 2001)

No comments: