Wednesday, March 25, 2009

March 25, 2009

Take A Walk

Read UM Hymnal #314

Walking is my exercise of choice, somewhat out of necessity since our dog, Toby, became a member of the family. A day without a walk for Toby is a mischief-producing day in the DeWitt household.

I’ve noticed many hymns, anthems and scripture lessons make reference to walking. It seems as though the act of walking is a fitting metaphor for our spiritual journey. When Toby and I walk, we usually travel a familiar route; however, each outing brings a different experience. One summer day we spotted a hawk; we see the leaves changing color in autumn and new growth in the spring; we take pleasure in the sparkling snow in the sunlight. It can be the same with our scripture lessons – we know the Bible stories quite well, but often find a refreshing new perspective with each subsequent reading.

Just like in our lives, some walks are more difficult than others. I confess on some of these recent sub-zero mornings, I really don’t want to trudge across the ice. But there’s something about being outside that helps me quietly reflect and feel closer to God. On a walk everything is slower and less stressed. It’s really my favorite time to pray and thank God for His many blessings and the glories of His creation.

So get outside and take a walk…it’s good for your body and your soul.
Sue DeWitt

No comments: