Friday, March 27, 2009

March 27, 2009

Give Me A Light

Read 1 Peter 5:6-7

I tend to be a worrier. I can tell myself that there is nothing I can accomplish by worrying, yet I still can’t quite stop. So when my son, Luis, was recently deployed to Iraq, I started to worry. In fact, I was concerned that my worrying would get out of control. But just when I needed him, God sent me a message.

I was attending the Sunday school class taught by a retired Methodist minister, Rev. Tex Rickard, who was speaking to us about meditation and prayer. He taught us that there is a great healing power in communicating with God during a quiet time on a daily basis, using words that remind us that God is always with us through all the highs and lows of life. So before going to bed at night, I would take the time to pray and repeat the mantra that Rev. Tex shared with us. I thought about the words every time, and I realized that I just had to trust that God was there with me every step of the way. My worries slowly disappeared each time I repeated those words.

These are the words that helped me through a stressful time:

I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year, “Give me a light that I may go out into the darkness.” And he replied, “Go into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way!”

Jan Versical

No comments: