Thursday, March 26, 2009

March 26, 2009

Asking For Help

Read: Galatians 5:13-14

I've never been particularly good at asking for help. But it seems that when crisis strikes, our Methodist Church family has always stepped forward to help without being asked. Two instances come to mind.

In 1985, I was pregnant with our first child when I went into premature labor. Our doctor confined me to bed with the precaution that each day we could keep the baby from coming would increase its chances of survival. Although we were very new members at our church in Akron, Ohio, a team of church women quickly mobilized to deliver hot meals. Suddenly, people we did not even know were praying for us. Twelve days after I went to bed -- and more than six weeks early -- our son arrived. During the month he was hospitalized and after, church members and our minister continued to provide moral support.

Today, our first child, Ross Gardner, and his younger brother, Ben, are active participants in the life of GPUMC.

Many years later, we again were new members, this time at GPUMC, when I had a serious automobile accident on I-94. While Greg stayed with me at the hospital, a church friend took the boys to Logos, where they were surrounded by friends - and got a good meal! When I was released from the hospital, members of our Caring Community group and others again brought much-appreciated meals. I especially remember the Wendy's "fast food" delivered by one busy mother who was not too busy to let us know that she cared.

The lessons I draw from these experiences: Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Don't be afraid to offer help without being asked. And feel good about whatever small kindnesses you can provide, because small kindnesses have a way of multiplying.
Thought for the Day:
Small kindnesses have a way of multiplying


Kathy Gardner (from March 10, 1999)

No comments: